Monday, April 19, 2010

Motown Monday

I started this blog as a project of mine because so much ugly was going on around me.  In order to stay sane, I needed to force myself to concentrate on what I love-God, my family, and the beauty that's all around me (I just heard Maurice White (Earth.Wind.Fire) in my ear).  That being said, I never got into the blogger profiles, etc. that people fill out with a passion however, if I were to enter my favorite movie of all time, it would be courtesy of Motown, Lady Sings the Blues.

I was 11 years old when this movie came out in 1972, and even though  there are movies that I enjoy and watch over and over, nobody can top Miss Ross as Lady Day.  Her portrayal of the brilliant but tragic Billie Holiday still moves me to this day.  My definition of unconditional love comes by way of Billy Dee Williams (I try not to think of Malt Liquor) as Louis McKay.  He was so sexy.  There was nothing and I mean nothing she could do that he didn't forgive (remember the Piano Man scene) and he loved her flaws and all.  I know every single song from the soundtrack, and damn near every word of dialogue.  Richard Pryor was wonderful, I mean the whole cast just stays with me to this day.  Diana Ross was nominated for an Oscar in the Best Actress category.  She lost to Liza Minnelli (Cabaret I think), and I was outraged.  This movie is a masterpiece.

When Billie met Louis-a classic moment (2:58).


Good Morning Heartache-Billie needed a fix.


Original Movie Trailer.

No comments:

Post a Comment